51 Astor Place
The East Village known for its spunky atmosphere, and creative personalities is welcoming a new kind of development, 51 Astor Place. The LEED Gold 13-story commercial space designed by starchitect, Fumihiko Maki is home to many ambitious technology driven companies like IBM, 1st dibs, and others of its kind. Minskoff Properties has always been bold when deciding new concepts for property developments over Manhattan. 51 Astor Place has been nothing short for the area’s turning streak for young professionals of its kind.
TEC Systems, Inc was commissioned to design the base building, as well as the tenant fit-out for the development, focusing on occupant comfort, and clever energy practices. By utilizing Honeywell’s Excel 5000 Controllers and a strategic BACnet interface, TEC was able to create an open communication between the factory controls, and the panels supplied to cater to each tenants level of comfort.
To maintain not only a comfortable work environment but a safe one as well, Stryker controllers were configured throughout the building to work flawlessly with the many VAV supply units.In addition to the standard HVAC controls, Fire and Smoke dampers were also a leading part of this project ; providing interlock wiring between dampers and the associated equipment. TEC was able to connect via BACnet protocols. To tie-up the whole project, TEC’s graphics department created an easy-to-use frontend on a single workstation, clearly laying out the entirety of the HVAC controls and metering activity.
- 2015 BOMA Pinnacle Award for New Construction
- LEED GOLD 13 stories, 400,000 sq ft, ribbed granite and glass takes over one of Cooper Union's campuses
- Closely monitored water usage through a metering process that is implemented through the PC workstation
- Optimized heating and cooling conditions from the use of Honeywell 5000 Controllers in conjunction with facilities equipment
- Home to Jeff Koons Balloon Rabbit (Red), 14 feet tall and weighing 6,600 pounds